Thursday, December 13

according to plan...

according to my grand plan i would be posting a 'wonderful lovely' tutorial about crocheting a popcorn garland with lots of helpful pictures...but alas my plan has been thwarted by several things...first my 'flu' like symptoms that have plagued me for several days...secondly after spending nearly an hour trying to get non blurry pictures i have given up and thirdly i am blaming the lousy weather conditions and not my camera skills...
so you will have to use your imagination with this one, no pretty pictures sadly.
i might also add this is the most simple easy peasy crocheted item you will ever make, however with my inability to write clear concise 'crochet terms' it will appear to be the most super duper complicated item you have ever attempted...dear readers do not be 'put off' just pick up that yarn and before you know it you will have 'bluffed' your way through my instructions to your very own 'popcorn garland'...

so with the help of some 'irrelevant pictures' of Miss India Rose i shall begin...


1. you will need a 'worsted' weight yarn and a size 4.0 mm hook (i used lambs pride worsted yarn...it is a beautiful clotted cream color and crochets up a charm)
2. chain a length of around 2 yards...you could just chain one huge length but i prefer to do several shorter garlands so i don't get in a tangle)

now that was the easy bit...

3. slip stitch back into 14th chain from hook to create a 'loop' for hanging onto your branch
4. single crochet into the next six stitches
5. chain six
6. double crochet into 3rd chain from hook, repeat 6 more times until you have a fan shape
7. remove hook and place into first double crochet, collect loop and pull through to create bobble
8. slip stitch into base of chain to join bobble back to main garland
9. repeat from row 4. until 14 stitches from end of garland and make a loop for your other branch.

the garland will naturally twist as you proceed...i do so hope that i have made this clear, basically you need to count, six single crochets, six chains, seven double crochets, one slip stitch and repeat...plus remember i am using american terminology and i believe for british crocheting it will be different...my trusty rowan book tells me...

US single is a UK double
US double is a UK treble


right, i think it is quite true to say that if you attempt this you will be requiring a drink within 25 minutes...if you actually manage to work out a 'popcorn garland' from my instructions then please let us all know so we can believe that miracles do happen at christmas...

she's hoping you can work it out ~ Tif

8 comments:

Hear Me Roar! said...

I should really learn how to crochet, since this is all Greek to me. And I SO love your popcorn garland!

dottie angel said...

i think you will find it is greek to a 'hardy crocheter' as well :)

Tracy x said...

i will give it a darn good try....
in the morning
it looks as if i may need all my early morning wits about me and a strong coffee, rather than sore knitters fingers and a slight squint brought on by far too many glasses of caramel baileys.

wish me luck
t x

Anonymous said...

That quilt is beautiful!! Don't know how to crochet or knit but I'm lovin' the quilt!

dottie angel said...

aah yes my 'shop bought' quilt...the shame of it, but as i am not a quilter of any great strength i allowed myself to succumb a little while back to a 'big company brand' quilt...forgive me please, i couldn't resist the colors ;)

Asti said...

I'm gonna give it a go! I've been confused before by the US/UK stitch differences (doesn't take much) I think your instructions are great. I'll let you know, but it will probably be down to me if I balls it up! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your popcorn garland is so cute and a wonderful idea. My mom would sit stringing year after year for hours.... This post was so hilariously well-written. What a riot! AND, the quilt your cat is enjoying so much is gorgeously beautiful!

Amy said...

i will have to try this garland. and as for your unrelated picture...i love everything about it! the quilt is gorgeous and the pillow...i love it!