Thursday, October 9

empty nest...

the shed is very quiet, my 'month of visitors' has come to an end and i am left all alone,
just little old me and a 'old man's' hacky cough which has forced me to stay indoors less someone talks to me and i start 'hacking' all over them...
i have made some progress towards getting stuff together for my little shop, with the help of my pal Debbie ("blimey Tif, we nearly keeled over just then") and Monday is my official first day 'back at work' ("yep, we have keeled over now")...

in the meantime i was inspired by Miss Lola (i miss having little shoes by my door, sniff) and her manic cutting skills, prompting me to decorate the 'stairwell' mirror.
my vision for this mirror was to have a beautiful stencil of some flower painted over it, but as time has gone by my initial enthusiasm has 'wained', so instead i have taken the 'tear outs' from my laundry cupboard doors and reinvented them as a mirror frame.

this 'mirror mirror on the wall' moment gives me the perfect opportunity to showcase my favorite skirt for this season. (doesn't that sound grand, almost like i know what i'm talking about...)


i found the lovely 'marmalade originals' mother/daughter duo at freemont market a few weeks back. their skirts are just perfect...made in the most prettiest of fabrics.
they make me feel like i am wearing a bit of 'wall paper', which for me is a good thing, can't vouch for anyone else but i find my little skirt always makes the day much brighter...you can also find 'marmalade originals' skirts over here too...

so the hallway is at last coming to the end of it's transformation, it has gone from a dark depressing 'walk through' to a light filled 'bright space' thanks to a couple of sun tunnels, a large can of bright white paint (or two), my mirror and the 'cherry on the cake'...a glass lamp that i unearthed on a trip out...
on presenting it to my man, not for the first time he hung his head and sighed...
"surely you can fix it using bits from the old lamp and some spray paint?" i asked, using my 'happy' voice (a tactic, i employ in times of 'thrifty' crisis)
and of course just like always, he comes through in the end...now our hallway has a glass lamp to brighten up the cold autumn evenings (oh, how i love the 'nesting' season)
next and final step to complete the transformation is to rip up the old carpet and think 'flooring'...

she will see you 'the first day' back at work with or without a 'hacky' cough ~ Tif
FOOTNOTE: actually it is glaringly obvious i do not know what i am talking about. on closer inspection of my 'fall fashion' picture, i see my 'fetching pair' of felt slippers are getting in on the action...

7 comments:

Hear Me Roar! said...

I LOVE the skirt Tif, it is most definitely you. Does getting back to work mean I'll be seeing you here at my day job again?!

Gigibird said...

Only you could decorate a mirror with bits of magazines and get away with it Tif :)

Personally I find your slippers rather alluring ......only this afternoon Stella and I were fantasizing about a nice pair of slippers...

Michelle said...

what a gorgeous skirt just popped over and took a look...
have put that one on my bookmarks...
i am going to organize my paypal soon...still can't believe that i've lived in the past this long...
i love the light, what a great find...
and the carpet really looks fine in the photo...
and it will be warm when winter comes...

Anonymous said...

The glass light fixture looks great. - I really like the green you went with there.

I hope you feel better soon!

Unknown said...

fabulous lamp - how can your man sigh at such beauty?! i'm looking forward to seeing new things in your shop :)

Anonymous said...

great skirt and I hadn't noticed the slippers til you brought them to my attention... mine are considerably worse!

Francesca said...

yes, i was going to mention the slippers. but they don't detract from the lovely skirt and they are just like my muji slippers so all is forgiven!
i love the lamp, it's gorgeous, and you know that sometimes i don't quite appreciate all your thrifts (ahem, bathroom scales) but this is really lovely.
so excited that your shop is coming back.
x